By continuing to use this site, you agree to receive cookies/similar technologies to measure visits, view videos and use social sharing buttons. Find out more and change your cookies settings.
Bahrain International airport, a new world-class facility
Launching its operation in 2020, the new 207,000 square meters terminal will be one of the largest construction projects ever undertaken in the Gulf kingdom.
With a capacity of 14 million passengers a year, the new airport will provide passengers with a unique world-class travel experience.
Key project figures
- 2 premium class check-in halls and over one 100 check-in counters
- 36 passport control booths and 5 e-gates
- A world-class retail area and an arrival duty free
- 24 jetty served gates
- Multiple lounges, including 2 business class check-in lounges
- 8 baggage reclaim belts
- A multistory Car Park
A growing traffic hub
Passengers in 2019
Passengers compared to 2018
Bahrain International Airport, at the crossroads of a global traffic
BIA is the home of Gulf Air, the national flag-carrier for the country, which operates more than 2,270 monthly flights to 46 destinations across the Gulf and worldwide. BIA is also a key link in the networks of international carriers totaling 26 operating airlines in all
Bahrain International Airport, the first airport in the Arabian Gulf
- 1927: first charter flight landed in Bahrain
- 1932: first scheduled commercial flight en-route from London to Delhi
- 1950: establishment of Gulf Aviation Company
- 1961: new passenger terminal
- 1994: new US$100 million terminal with a capacity of 9 million PAX a year